- Meet Nathaniel James on his Adventures in New Giving tour as he makes a stop in San Francisco from August 10th to August 13th. Nathaniel made his tour possible with funds obtained through his StartSomeGood campaign. Continue to show him your support by volunteering at or attending his summit. The main event takes place on Saturday afternoon August 11, hosted by Hub San Francisco. The goal of the event is to gather local leaders and participants of this emerging philanthropic movement in new giving for an afternoon of story and skill sharing in an open space “mini-summit.” Nathaniel is inviting representatives from various notable organizations such as Kiva, Kickstarter, Shareable.net, Soup SF, and many more.
- Applications for the 2013 AshokaU exchange are now open! University leaders, student leaders, thought leaders, and social entrepreneurs—this is your chance to join together with other social leaders. Space is limited so if you are interested, make sure you don’t miss out—apply as soon as you can.
- Come meet the brightest young leaders in NYC at this year’s StartingBloc NY ‘12 Launch Party on August 5th. This is a launch party celebrating the 2012 class of StartingBloc NYC Fellows. Tickets are available online and include appetizers, drink specials, a DJ, and networking opportunities with some of today’s newest stars in social innovation who are turning into tomorrow’s most influential leaders.
- A Better Chicago presents Project Impact, a new competition offering $100,000 in funding, networking opportunities, and management support for a young and innovative non-profit that is working to better the lives of low-income Chicago residents. If you are a non-profit that helps low-income residents in Chicago and you are looking to grow on a local lever or you are a non-profit looking to expand into Chicago, apply by August 15th.
- The SOCAP12Social Entrepreneurship scholarship is closing soon, so get your applications in as soon as possible. Scholarships include full event access to SOCAP’s Making Meaning Matter event that will be held in San Francisco this October 1st-4th. Applications close on August 6th, so take the initiative and apply today!
I am currently working towards a BS in Information Design and Corporate Communication at Bentley University. Before college, I hadn’t any idea where I wanted life to take me so I decided to just let the wind blow me around a bit. The following summer, I shipped myself off to Romania through Learning Enterprises where I volunteered running English camps. The children I met there made me realize how much just one hello, one meal, or one hug can really grow change in someone’s life. After coming back to the US I’ve been keeping myself busy working odd jobs, studying and taking every opportunity I can to mesh my business degree with my love for positive change.