- Who is Gamechanger Sean Foote? More than just an MBA microfinance professor at Berkeley and Stanford, managing director at Labrador Ventures, and co-founder of Toniic and Village Capital, Sean is passionate about education and social investment. Want to hear more? Check out Blended Profit’s interview with Sean Foote covering his take on the future of the venture business and don’t forget to read Sean’s blog!
- On September 10th, the Unreasonable Institute will begin looking for social entrepreneurs with outrageous ideas that are confident they can change the world. Life at the Unreasonable Institute gives a handful of selected applicants the chance to put forth their extravagant high-impact ideas toward warranted social change. Do you have a crazy idea on how to eliminate poverty? Or how our society could live on 100% sustainable energy? Maybe the Unreasonable Institute is the place for you!
- Hey Londoners, looking to get involved in social enterprise? Not quite sure how to make the transition? On September 17th,Jan Matern, director of Emerge Venture Lab, and Tom Rippon, an ex-McKinsey management consultant, are leading a seminar on how to break into social entrepreneurship. Whether you’ve been looking for a job with a purpose but just aren’t sure how to get started or are just interested in networking with some interesting people, be sure to stop by this event!
- “How can new technology and new media create solutions for the biggest problems facing my community?” Join the conversation. The Social Good Summit Global Connection is inviting the Mashable community to help find an answer September 24th through local meet-ups, such as this one in Austin. Visit the Social Good Summit site for more information on how to take action and to find a meet-up near you.
- Yet another successful StartSomeGood venture, Dash, has been getting quite a bit of press lately surrounding its Dash4Teachers app that its team raised $3,330 to create back in March this year. Dash4Teachers was mentioned in this edSurge article, A Teacher’s Guide to Communicating with Parents, and was also featured on the Teach For America blog post No I Will Not Put My Phone Away for Class! No doubt, this high profile press will lead to even more success for Dash4Teachers and more teachers using the app to build better relationships with parents during this school year. We here at StartSomeGood are so excited to see another venture succeed post-campaign—many congrats guys, you’re truly an inspiration to all!
I am currently working towards a BS in Information Design and Corporate Communication at Bentley University. Before college, I hadn’t any idea where I wanted life to take me so I decided to just let the wind blow me around a bit. The following summer, I shipped myself off to Romania through Learning Enterprises where I volunteered running English camps. The children I met there made me realize how much just one hello, one meal, or one hug can really grow change in someone’s life. After coming back to the US I’ve been keeping myself busy working odd jobs, studying and taking every opportunity I can to mesh my business degree with my love for positive change.