This Week in Social Entrepreneurship: Ashoka and GE are on the search for social entrepreneurs that empower women economically
On Tuesday, November 5th, Firstport will be hosting Build your social enterprise in Aberdeen, UK. This is a follow up from the Social Enterprise Challenge. As a delegate, you will work through a social enterprise business plan template, key aspects of marketing and sales, identify a target market, and define your products and services.
Ashoka Changemakers and General Electric are celebrating and helping catalyze organizations who are “being the change” with the Women Powering Work: Innovations for Economic Equality in MENA competition. This initiative seeks social entrepreneurs who are enabling women to achieve full economic equality and strengthen their families and communities.
On Sunday, November 3rd, come celebrate Brown University becoming an official Ashoka U Exchange Changemaker Campus at Ashoka U Changemaker Day. Ashoka U Exchange is the largest annual global convergence for social entrepreneurship education.
Sankalp Awards is India’s leading social enterprise recognition platform. This year they are calling on emerging social enterprises to apply that fall into one of these 7 high-impact categories: agriculture, food & livelihoods; clean energy, technology; education and vocational training; financial inclusion; health, water & sanitation; technology for development; and women empowerment. Benefits for the winners include grants funding opportunities, mentoring, promotion, and access to global networks.
Shawn D. Ross
I am a Northwest Native living in Washington State. A graduate of Washington State University and University of Phoenix with degrees in Architecture and Education I write about social, cultural, and personal improvement on the StartSomeGood Blog and SDRinspire. I am also a filmmaker and owner of Giraffe and Penguin Productions, a single daddy of two beautiful children, avid reader, writer, and hat wearer (Not in that picture but believe me, I wear ‘em). I am currently at work on my first feature length documentary. Follow me @shawndross and visit my websites: sdrinspire.tumblr.com and giraffeandpenguinproductions.tumblr.com.
What good do you want to create? Visit our site to learn about how to start your own campaign.
Do you have a social entrepreneurship news story or an event you’d like to see on the StartSomeGood Blog? Email Nicole (Nicole @ StartSomeGood.com)
- Echoing Green has announced its 2012 fellows and we’re so very proud to share that One Degree, founded by the super humble and talented Rey Faustino, has been chosen! Rey and his team raised $4,684 on StartSomeGood last year to help launch One Degree. Please join us in congratulating him and his team, along with the other amazing 2012 Echoing Green Fellows!
- Seattle’s Social Innovation Fast Pitch 2012, presented by Social Veture Partners Seattle, is a fast pitch investment forum highlighting New Ideas for Social Impact. Online applications for this competition close on June 29th and the final pitch competition takes place on October 18th.
- The 9th Annual Games for Change Festival is taking place in New York at the NYU Skirball Center on June 18th through June 20th. This is the largest games gathering in NYC and it’s a great place to network with leaders who develop games for social change, learn about key global trends, and participate in some of the best games for change that have been developed. The mission: catalyze social impact through digital games. Ticket sales close at the end of today—come play some games for a great cause!
- Ready for a vacation this summer? I bet we all are (I know that I am!!) Have you ever considered taking a volunteer vacation? This week, The Huffington Post shared 5 great volunteer vacations you can take to donate your time while traveling abroad. Build with Habitat for Humanity in Alaska, help deaf and blind students in Chile, spend time at an orphanage in Guatemala, bottle feed baby manatees in Peru, help endangered animals in South Africa, or choose another adventure—whatever you do, the experience will be one of a lifetime. Last year, I spent time on a farm in Equador and it’s something I will never forget.
- There are several opportunities posted to join the Ashoka U team as an intern this summer. Ashoka U is starting a movement to influence higher education and is looking for passionate and talented interns to join them for summer.
- During S.H.E. Summit Week in New York, Catchafire is hosting an event, Learn How to Launch a Social Good Company on June 19th. A panel of women entrepreneurs within the social good sector will speak about what it’s like being a woman social entrepreneur today. If you plan on attending the S.H.E. Summit, this panel is a must!
- Unreasonable at Sea is an accelerator for tech social entrepreneurs who want to take their ventures into international markets. Tech companies solving social and environmental challenges will be paired with mentors for a Semester at Sea where they will travel to 14 international destinations for 100 days and explore the local economies of different countries and what it would take to bring their technologies to market there. The ship sets sail January 2013, but applications are due June 5, 2012.
- Bay Area social innovators, here’s your chance to meet some of your local Acumen Fund Fellows. On Wednesday, May 23, SF+acumen is hosting a Meet the Fellows event in San Francisco. This event will consist of an interactive panel with four Bay Area Acumen Fund Fellows: Heidi Krauel, COO of New Island Capital, Bavidra Mohan and Bryan Farris, co-founders of 2ndNature, and Benje Williams, an MBA sutdent at Stanford who worked in Pakistan with Pharmagen.
- The Villgro Fellowship provides individuals with the chance to work closely with a social enterprise in rural India for one year. It’s a chance to work with a social entrepreneur and gain an in-depth understanding of the process involved in running a social venture that is truly innovative. Fellows will also be part of a mentorship and training program so they can develop their professional skills during this year long fellowship. The application deadline for the 2012-2013 program is May 20th.
- Have you dreamed of sharing your idea worth spreading at a TEDx event? GOOD Maker is giving you the chance by hosting a challenge to submit your idea online and have the general public vote on it. The winner will have the chance to speak at TEDxUChicago. Share your vision of small-scale activities that you believe can make a BIG impact on the community, the state, the country, or the world. You know that small changes can make a HUGE impact. Now is your chance to share that with a broad audience that is open to new and interesting ideas. Share your creative and disruptive idea to GOOD Maker by May 17th at noon PST.
- Ashoka U is a program launched by Ashoka in 2008 to designate universities as Changemaker Campuses across the United States and build a network of educators and innovators. If you are looking for an internship in social entrepreneurship, Ashoka U has posted several openings for internship positions for the summer and fall. These are full-time positions based out of the Arlington, VA office. Take a look at the position descriptions and see if any sound like a perfect fit! Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis for summer and fall.
- Ashoka U announced that it is adding three new schools to its Changemaker Campus Initiative. The University of San Diego, Technológico de Monterrey-Guadalajara, and Middlebury College will join 13 other colleges and universities that are also part of the initiative. Launched in 2008, Ashoka U’s program seeks out leaders in social entrepreneurship education and designates them as Changemaker Campuses. Read more about the three newest Changemaker Campuses here.
- The Skoll Foundation just posted a YouTube video of highlights from the 2011 Skoll World Forum, which was held back in March of this year. The Skoll World Forum on Social Entrepreneurship is the leading international platform for applying entrepreneurial approaches to solve social issues. My favorite part of the video is when Archbishop Desmond M. Tutu was awarded the first ever Skoll Global Treasure award.
- Social Earth came out with a list of 25 Indian Social Enterprises You Should Follow On Twitter. Ashoka India, Beyond Profit, Give India, and Shop for Change are just a few of the enterprises listed that will keep you connected to the movement in India. Which of these accounts to you follow? Did the article miss any that we should know about?
- Calling all Social Entrepreneurs—do you have your business ideas ready? Financier, billionaire, and philanthropist, Bill Conway, plans to give away at least $1 billion before he dies. The best part of this news—he’s asking for your help on ideas of where to give it away. He is mostly interested in helping the jobless and poor and he wants to avoid simple charitable giveaways. He’s already given much of his fortune to charities such as the Capital Area Food Bank but now he’s looking for a long-term, lasting solution to the jobless situation. Time to start sending him your ideas!
- B Lab’s Global Impact Investment Rating System (GIIRS) project is officially up and running this week. This system will be used to rate the social impact of both individual companies and socially responsible investment funds. Fifteen major social impact investors are pioneering this system, including Prudential, the Skoll Foundation, J.P. Morgan, and RSF Social Finance. GIIRS gives social enterprises standardized reporting metrics to send to investors. These investors will have benchmarks they can use to compare their investments to other social enterprises within the same field. If you want to learn more about GIIRS, GOOD wrote a quick and understandable overview here.
- Ashoka has compiled 20 key challenges in the world today that need exceptional entrepreneurs to combat them. Ashoka is now looking for an entrepreneur to lead and drive change within each key challenge. This project, named 20/20, is looking for groundbreaking change leaders to create large-scale impacts. Are you up for the challenge? Check it out and apply today.
Social entrepreneurs, has all this great SocEnt news inspired you to start your own good? Do you have a social enterprise, a non-profit, or an amazing idea that needs some momentum to take off? Visit our site to find out how to start your own campaign today. Still have questions? We have answers—check out our FAQ section.