- Join See Think Make July 7th-8th at the School of Visual Arts in NYC for a weekend of workshops that will provide you with the tools to get your ideas off paper and make them real. See Think Make has limited the event to 30 spots in order to maximize opportunities for feedback, facilitate conversation, and enhance connections between participants. Early bird tickets are available through 6/22! Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
- G2012 Mexico and Ashoka Changemakers just launched the G2012 Mexico Financial Inclusion: Innovative Solutions for Unlocking Access competition. This competition is looking for social entrepreneurs with innovations that address barriers to financial inclusions such as accessibility, affordable products, and lack of incentives to provide for low-income communities. The deadline for submissions is September 12th.
- Villgro has launched SEED, a high-touch mentoring program for social entrepreneurs looking to grow their enterprises. The 6 month program, beginning October 30th, includes both in-residence and out-of-residence modules for a full germination period to enable social enterprises to bloom into healthy organizations. Applications are due by June 30th and the ten admitted entrepreneurs will be announced September 4th.
- Mix and mingle with social entrepreneurs, journalists, members of VC firms, and other professionals at the Social Entrepreneurs Mixer in San Francisco, June 28th at 6:30 PM. The two hour event will include an opportunity for networking as well as a pitch session from the 15 hottest start-ups. Tickets are available online for a discounted price up until the start of the event and at the door for full price.
- Don’t forget—Social Entrepreneurs Need to Make Money Too! An often overlooked yet integral part of founding a successful social venture is earning revenue. Inflows of resources, such as revenue, are required to sustainably carry out the mission of an organization. This article offers tips for social entrepreneurs to create an appealing pitch for investors such as creating a sensible sustainability plan and advice for measuring your social impact.
- This week is A Good Week! Social innovation agency A Very Good Company, has launched this unique event designed to encourage people, businesses, and communities do something good for someone else. This event was created to bring people together to celebrate the Good in the world and to find ways to make more Good happen. Check out the A Good Week site and see how you can get involved in A Good Week, which started on June 18th and runs through this Sunday, the 24th.
I am currently working towards a BS in Information Design and Corporate Communication at Bentley University. Before college, I hadn’t any idea where I wanted life to take me so I decided to just let the wind blow me around a bit. The following summer, I shipped myself off to Romania through Learning Enterprises where I volunteered running English camps. The children I met there made me realize how much just one hello, one meal, or one hug can really grow change in someone’s life. After coming back to the US I’ve been keeping myself busy working odd jobs, studying and taking every opportunity I can to mesh my business degree with my love for positive change.